Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mistakes are bound to happen

Too bad sometimes they’re rookie mistakes.  I was in the middle of brewing a batch of Irish Red and someone who hadn’t seen the process before came in and started asking questions.  I don’t mind this at all.  I love my hobby and I’m willing to share what knowledge I have with those who care to learn.  On this particular occasion I allowed myself to become distracted and completely forgot to cool the boiling wort before I put it into the plastic carboy.  It did not turn out well for the carboy.   I would have thought they were made of a bit sterner stuff.  The carboy is ruined but the wort was still usable and I had to put it into a different bucket so, all is not lost.  
I had another mishap recently.  I was brewing a Spiced Winter Ale and right after I brought it to a boil and added the hops the hot plate died.  I did not find this out until about 20 minutes into the boil.  At this point there wasn’t much I could do.  I put the lid on and kept it as warm as I could for an hour.  I’m hoping that it broke down enough of the hop resins to provide some bitterness or I’m going to have a fairly sweet beer.  I had a yeast starter standing by so I wasn’t too worried about any bacterial infection.  I bottled it just last weekend so I’ll be able to tell you in about a week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment