Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How Long is One Minute?

Normally I consider the minute to be the time equivalent of dollars to money.  They’re not worth much and you can’t do much with just one.  To me, and most people, time is one of the more precious commodities out there and we never have enough. It’s the one thing in which, once it’s gone you can never have it back.  As I look at the list of goals that I would like to accomplish in my lifetime, the efficient use of my time becomes a big deal to me.  Today I was reminded of how much you can accomplish in one minute.  
If you ever want to know the eternity that a minute can be do some sprints.  Initially the minute isn’t so bad.  You take your rest and the next minute of work comes.  Now you start to notice the halfway mark.  Soon after that you start breaking it down into 20 second intervals.  Hoping that the next 20 seconds will somehow go faster than the last 20.  Then it’s 10 seconds.  Soon you stop focusing on time and work on your pace.  It keeps your mind off of the time.  Then you start to wonder if you turned off your music in your ipod would your body use less blood in your head to transfer those sounds into something you can understand.  Maybe that blood would go to your legs or lungs to give you more oxygen.  Then you wonder if closing your eyes would have the same effect.  
Ok, I’m taking it a bit far but I’ve said it before, sprinting hurts.  You can accomplish a lot for yourself in that minute.  If you do anything hard for a minute you can accomplish a lot.  And, like dollars, minutes add up.  

Afternoon:  
1 minute ladder (Rower, damper setting 5)
1 min on, 1 min off, 1 min on, 50 seconds off... 1 min on 10 seconds off, 1 min on 20 seconds off... 1 min on, 1 min off, 1 min on and done.  
All efforts are all out.  
Morning:
Helen
3 rds for time
400m run (Subbed row today due to gym size)
21 kettle bell swing 53lbs
12 pull ups
13:55
I feel that this was a pretty poor showing.  I wasn’t really into it this morning.  It was one of those morning’s where you don’t want to get up at all, much less go kill yourself at the gym.  I’ll do her again one of these days and see what I get.  I think my shoulders are finally getting to the point that I can start kipping again.  We’ll see.
100 Day Burpee Challenge
Day 1:  1 Burpee Total:  1 Burpee

No comments:

Post a Comment