Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gut Check

Every once in a good while you need a good gut check for a workout.  Today was that day.  It was a Filthy 50 morning.  I was very happy with my performance until the burpees.  They took me nearly 10 minutes alone.  I don’t know why I was having so much trouble with them.  It looks like it’s time to do some burpee work.  If there ever was an exercise that I’ve never heard anyone say are fun, it’s burpees.  There is nothing pleasant about them.  
I realize I complain a lot about my workouts but I really do like them.  There are even exercises that I like.  I like dead lifts.  I like cleans and snatches (take that last one how you want).  I think the Olympic lifts are fun.  They are explosive and I need a dose of that in my life.  I’m not big on being explosive.  If I were to have a power animal it would be a sloth.  This is because I don’t like moving faster than necessary.  What’s the point?  This is part of the reason why I like Crossfit.  It ensure it get the intensity that I know I need in my workouts.  
Filthy 50:
For time
50 box jumps (I only have a 30” box)
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 kettle bell swings (35#)
50 lunge walks
50 knees-to-elbows
50 push-press (45#)
50 back extensions
50 Wall ball shots (20# ball, 10 ft target)
50 burpess (boo!)
50 double unders
42::06.  
My time on this was nearly two minutes slower than my last time.  I am about 5000ft higher in elevation but it’s no excuse.  If I can knock my time on my burpees in half I would have knocked 5 minutes off that time.  
I came back to the gym in the evening to knock out a Tabata row, the treadmill was taken.  I maintained 100m or more per interval.  I’m pretty beat and I’m sure that I’ll sleep like a rock tonight.  
I did not do so well on my calorie intake today.  I’ve been doing good all week and today I ended up having some cake and ice cream.  It was Sunday but I still need to be better about my eating habits.  I’m definitely watching my portions and I’m consuming more protein but I’m trying to balance it with fruits and veggies.  
Tomorrow will be a strength day.  I’m looking forward to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment